How Councils can support the Pollinator Plan
Councils can play a leading role in making the island of Ireland a place where pollinators can survive and thrive. To help, we’ve produced these guidelines: Councils: actions to help pollinators
We understand that each Council is different, so there are a range of 30 pollinator-friendly actions to choose from. There are instructions for each action, suggestions for where it might be applied, what staff could assist, and a pollinator-friendly planting code.
Suitable for: ROI: County and City Council staff. NI: Borough, District and City Councils.
Benefits to Councils that support the Pollinator Plan:
- Enhancing the local landscape for pollinators supports local food producers
- Making the landscape more pollinator friendly protects the ability of local people to grow their own fruits & vegetables
- Taking actions for pollinators will lead to general biodiversity enhancement
- Many of the actions in this guideline are either cost neutral or could lead to cost savings
- Many actions can be supported by the wider community such as Tidy Towns, Ulster in Bloom or by local or national NGOs
- Actions taken for pollinators can contribute to the Green Flag Award for parks under the sustainability, conservation and community involvement criteria
Put your pollinator-friendly sites on the map!
Has your Council taken any pollinator-friendly actions? If so, have a staff member log them on our online mapping system, Actions for Pollinators, to get the credit you deserve! Help us track the build-up of food and shelter in our landscape (Instructions for logging a Council site).
Other Pollinator Plan Resources:
- Please visit our Resources page to find presentations, posters, How-to-guides, and signage templates.
- We have lots of other resources for Local Community groups, such as Tidy Towns groups, and schools.
Sincere thanks to Bernadette Guest, Heritage Officer with Waterford City & County Council, and Filmmaker Peter Cutler from CrowCragProductions.com for making the video above about how Councils can protect Pollinators.
This video was funded through the Creative Ireland Initiative.
Thanks to our partners at Wexford County Council, Belfast City Council and the NIEA for collaborating with us on these Council Guidelines.