Ireland’s Buzzing: International Conference on Pollinator Conservation
Limerick City: 20-21st May 2020
In 2015, Ireland became one of the first countries in Europe to publish a pollinator strategy. This event will bring together a large audience to learn from international experts about successful pollinator initiatives around the world. It will also provide an opportunity to hear about the challenges and innovative approaches adopted by other national pollinator strategies in Europe, as well as key successes from the first phase of the All-Ireland Pollinator Plan (2015-2020). Importantly, the event will provide the audience with an opportunity to contribute their thoughts and ideas into the next version of the All-Ireland Pollinator Plan, so that together we can make the 2021-2025 Plan as ambitious as possible.
This event is being organised by Limerick City and County Council in collaboration with the National Biodiversity Data Centre who manage the All-Ireland Pollinator Plan. It will be held in the Strand Hotel Limerick. Limerick has been awarded the European Green Leaf for 2020. The European Green Leaf Award (EGLA) is open to towns and cities with between 20,000 and up to 100,000 inhabitants, to recognise and promote their efforts towards better environmental management and outcomes. This international pollinator conference will be one or a range of activities happening in the city across 2020.
- Cost: €60 – includes tea/coffee breaks and lunch each day.
- There will be a conference dinner on the evening of the 20th May. This can be booked at a cost of €35.
- The conference venue is centrally located and Limerick has a wide range of accommodation options to suit all budgets. A number of hotels are offering special conference rates including the Strand Hotel (conference venue). You can find more details on these accommodation options plus parking at the event venue here: Accommodation and Parking
If you have any queries please email: [email protected]
Thanks to Limerick City and County Council for hosting this conference.
Day 1: Wednesday 20th May 2020 (World Bee Day)
Sharing experiences and learning from each other
- All-Ireland Pollinator Plan 2015-2020 (Úna FitzPatrick; National Biodiversity Data Centre)
- Global Pollinator Initiative (Martijn Thijssen; CBD Coalition of the Willing on Pollinators)
- Pollinator Initiatives in EU Member States: Success Factors and Gaps (Gustavo Becerra; Institute for European Environmental Policy)
- Bee City USA (Phyllis Stiles; Xerces Society)
- Making agricultural landscapes pollinator-friendly (TBC)
- Recent insights from global pollinator research (Lynn Dicks; University of Cambridge)
- Green spaces for health and well-being (Tamas Kallay, URBACT)
19:30 – Conference dinner: join us for a sumptuous dinner prepared by the Strand’s award winning chefs
Day 2: Thursday 21st May 2020
Building on the knowledge base
- Short success stories across sectors in Ireland (8 x 5 min talks)
- National pollinator strategies across Europe – 3 successes; 3 challenges (4 x 15 min talks)
- Interactive discussion session to capture ideas for the next phase of the All-Ireland Pollinator Plan 2021-2025
- How to manage towns and cities to foster biodiversity – insights from a pollinator-friendly European City (speaker TBC)
The National Biodiversity Data Centre is an Initiative of the Heritage Council